National Board of Examinations
(Ministry of Health & Family
Welfare, Govt. of
Ansari Nagar, Ring Road, New Delhi-110029.
Tel.No. 011-26589517, 26589119
The National Board of Examinations is an autonomous organization functioning under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India. The prime objective of the Board is to conduct post-graduate examinations of high and uniform standard through out the country in 42 specialties including DNB is Family medicine. National Board of Examinations is keen to encourage family medicine as a specialty programme since it serves the needs of the society by providing comprehensive and continuing care of the patients in their own settings.
1) The present undergraduate medical curriculum and the internship period are inadequate to turn out well trained, safe and competent medical professionals to serve the Community Needs.,
2) Preventive, Promotive and Rehabilitative aspects which form an integral part of healthy living has lost its focus with most of the medical practitioners.
3) More than 80 percent of our population are either urban poor or Rural based. They are unable to get access to medical care facilities from existing hospitals.
4) To practice holistic medicine the treating physician needs to understand the social, cultural and economic conditions of the family.
5) Family physician needs to make optimal use of funds and Judicious selection of Investigations.
6) Family Physicians form the backbone of any health delivery system. Management of emergencies and appropriate two way referral to the specialist and back for follow up facilitate patient care.
The recently launched
Prime Ministers Rural Health care
Which are the Institutions eligible to apply:
attached to Government and
2) All Government hospitals including General Hospitals, District hospitals, ESI, Defence, Railways, etc
3) Any Multispeciality hospitals already accredited by the NBE (Single speciality Hospitals not eligible)
4) All Public Sector Hospitals, Corporation, Port Trust & Mission hospitals and multi speciality private Hospitals
No Inspection fee for above categories 1,2 & 3.
For category 4, Inspection fee is Rs.10,000/- only.
What are the minimum requirements for eligibility:
1. The hospital should have full time consultants with Postgraduate qualifications MD/MS or DNB or equivalent. Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Ob & Gyn, Paediatrics and full time/part time/ visiting consultants in other specialities.
2. The hospital should have a minimum number of 50 beds (for
2 candidates) and 100 beds (for 4 candidates)
3. The hospital should have casuality/emergency medicine department with 24 hours service including availability of Anaesthetists and Blood transfusion services.
4. The hospital should have clinical Laboratory Investigation facilities viz Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology, etc.
5. Facilities for teaching in small groups, seminars, bed side clinics.
6. Library with standard text books and journals and access to internet.
Eligibility criteria for the Candidates:
1. Any Medical Graduate with MBBS qualification, who has completed Internship and registered with MCI/ State Medical Council (age limit upto 50 years)
2. Any medical graduate holding P.G.diploma qualification from Indian universities and Foreign Medical graduates who have passed screening test conducted by the NBE and Registered with MCI/State Medical Council.
3. In service candidates from Defence Central/State Govt. or Railways Public sector institutions.
How to apply:
1. The Institutions which are keen on starting the programme shall fill in the forms available at NBE Office or downloaded from Internet Complete details should be provided on Faculty members and ancillary services.
2. The accredited institutions shall send the names of the candidates selected for Registration with NBE
Duration of the Course:
Full Time - Three Years
Part Time - Not less than 20 hours per week
Commencement of the programme June/December 2005
Course content and Syllabus:
1. The trainee will be required to do his/her postings by rotation through all the departments/speciality services in the hospital and posted to institutions outside for such of the areas not available in the Institution;
2. Integrated training on clinical subjects with understanding of basic sciences concerning the disease process;
The detailed structured curriculam and stepwise training schedule will be available in the NBE Website.
Stipend / Course Fee:
The institution should employ the candidates and provide clinical responsibilities of a Senior Resident and pay the remuneration for his services.
It is desirable to provide accommodation wherever it is possible.
1. There will be no entrance test to join for the course. The Institution shall select suitable candidates with aptitude for general practice, their concern and compassion to live within the community to ensure healthy living.
2. The candidate will be evaluated for various technical skills, medical ethics and communication skill at the end of 12-18 months.
3. The candidate shall maintain a Log Book recording learning objectives, management of emergencies, complications and also submit a Thesis on Common subject relevant to general medical practice.
4. The candidate will be awarded credit hours for attending various academic programmes/seminars/professional conferences conducted by IMA /Professional Bodies and others.
Scope for further training:
On successful completion of DNB (Family Medicine) will be eligible to join the proposed Post Doctoral Certificate courses in Emergency Medicine, Pain and palliative care, Geriatrics, Reproductive and Child Health, Infectious diseases etc.